Roger Hall's Lawsuit:
Tilting at Windmills
Summary. Most literate people are familiar with the phrase
"tilting at windmills." The phrase originates with an incident in
Cervantes' Don Quixote when Quixote spies windmills and tries to convince his
companion that the windmills are giants and he must do battle with them. Don Quixote
battles enemy knights and soldiers, sorcerers, and giants. His only problem is that he
often gets things wrong, mistaking strangers for enemies, falling off his horse, and being
beaten senseless by mule-drivers. He blames every setback on the magic of an evil
enchanter he believes to be his nemesis. Everywhere he goes, Don Quixote sees the
everyday as the legendary: he confuses inns for castles, windmills for giants, and
prostitutes for princesses. The MIA cult acts much like Don Quixote -- seeing
a conspiracy behind every tree, an evil government official in every shadow, and secret
documents where there are none. The following item from Roger Hall -- self-appointed
"MIA researcher" -- is a fine example of seeing a windmill and believing it is a
giant.
UPDATE: March 2006. Click here to go
to the bottom of this page and read the March 2006 update.
Hall's Article
Who is Roger Hall?
Hall is a nut. Roger Hall is a self-styled "MIA researcher" who
claims that the CIA is withholding a vast trove of documents dealing with US POWs in
SEAsia. He is so convinced of this fantasy that he filed suit against the CIA and,
for two years or so, has been soliciting donations to help pay his legal expenses.
You can visit the "POW-MIA Freedom Fighters" site and buy a T-shirt supporting
Roger.
Here is my favorite Hall story. While I was in the DPMO (1993 -
1995), he was a regular correspondent. We would receive letters from Hall demanding
that we declassify documents that had been released long ago or letters demanding
documents that did not exist. When we wrote back and told him where he could find
the documents that had been released, he would reply that we were stonewalling him.
When we told him that what he was looking for did not exist, he wrote back claiming that
our denial proved that such documents existed.
One day, one of our action officers came to me to report on a conversation that the had
just had with an archivist at the National Archives. It seems that Hall was a
regular at the National Archives -- and when they told him that what he was searching for
was non-existent, he pulled the same crap with them. On this particular day, Hall
became more and more insistent and finally shouted to the archivist assisting him that she
was a "dumb bitch" -- which earned him an invitation to leave. He then
claimed that he was ejected because he had discovered documents that the Archives was
trying to hide. This story was related to our action officer by the archivist
involved.
Hall's Article
This article was snipped from the "POW-MIA Freedom Fighters" message board on
November 10, 2000. The article is reproduced here twice. The first
version is without interruption, the second version has the
truth inserted.
QUOTE
In from Roger Hall:
In the case of:
Roger Hall,
Plaintiff
Vs
Central Intelligence Agency,
Defendant
Civil Action No. 98-1319
The hearing on pending motions for summary judgment for withheld POW/MIA documentation is
set for June 11, 1999 at 9:30 A.M. The case will behead before Paul L. Friedman United
States District Judge for the District of Columbia
Suing the CIA on Behalf of Abandoned POWs
by Roger Hall
A law suit was filed against the CIA on May 28th,
1998 for the POW/MIA
documentation that the CIA was ordered to declassify and release, ordered by two
presidents and the Congress. President Bush in 1992 issued Executive Order 12812 for all
government departments and agencies to declassify and
release all POW/MIA documentation except for matters of national security, sources and
methods. President Bush wasn't reelected, the declassification was never completed.
The Senate Select Committee on POW/MIA Affairs that ended January 3, 1993, ordered all of
its POW/MIA documentation declassified and made available to the public. The CIA has not
declassified those documents and has classified
that very list of the documents, This is because the Senate did not enforce their promise
to have all Select Committee documents declassified, the Senate just turned all documents
[both unclassified and those in still classified
form] over to the National Archives. The National Archives never processed the classified
CIA POW/MIA documentation for declassification as promised by the US Senate and the CIA
would not initiate declassification.
On Memorial Day 1993 President Clinton promised America that he would issue an Executive
Order for the declassification of all POW/MIA documentation to be released by Veteran's
Day 1993. He put a dead line on when government must
get the job done. On Veteran's Day 1993 President Clinton informed the American public
that all POW/MIA documentation declassification except for national security information,
sources, and methods had been completed. It wasn't, much of that documentation was not
declassified or released. The Department of Defense, CIA, and State Department didn't even
notify their
components, i.e., military bases or field stations to search for additional documentation,
they just declassified what they had on hand.
That promise was made six years ago on Memorial Day
and the CIA documentation is still classified. One reason is because President Clinton did
not issue an executive order, the national security council issued a presidential decision
directive instead, not an executive order, there's a big difference. A directive does not
have the same force in law as an executive order. We were lied to again about POW/MIA
documents. An Executive Order must be published in the Federal Register, it can be
referenced there by anyone, a directive is not. In fact it took more than six months to
get a copy of the directive when they did admit what had happened. Why all the deception
about POW/MIA documentation?
Once the directive was given, the President had nothing to do with seeing that the
order was complied with. That is up to his staff if they're interested; they weren't. This
is because once an order is given it is left to each department or agency to implement an
order as they see it should be implemented. The different agencies are responsible only to
themselves unless someone makes them comply. The President had taken time to hang a carrot
before the public that led nowhere without enforcement. It got him off the
hook, it got the public off his and the governments back.
The CIA has a conflict of interest in its POW
collection activities. They are the intelligence arm of the State Department in addition
to their own activities, and their POW collection activities prevent them from effective
performance. The CIA controls the tasking of satellites and intelligence activities in
former communist countries. They also receive tasking from the Defense Intelligence Agency
(DIA) and the Drug Enforcement Agency. This is how pilot identification codes were found
in the 1980s and 90s.
Acknowledgment of the existence of POWs complicates
their other tasking requirements that includes trade with Russia, China, Laos, Cambodia,
and Vietnam. Such POW information is classified as national security. The release of that
POW information is now prevented by the CIA. If it is released to the DIA the DIA does not
acknowledge it in that they are only required to reveal documentation that they originate.
If you still expect the government to just
declassify POW/MIA documentation, that's just what they want you to do. It won't happen.
It won't get done. You need to finish the job you began on Memorial Day 1993. It's up to
you.
The CIA did produce some documentation on 19
specific cases we requested, and 30 additional documents that were previously released.
They front-end-load their documents as a buffer in dealing with the public, they make you
go through a gauntlet of obstacles designed to frustrate you and make you go away, to
exhaust your resources and energy. They haven't yet been required to dig into their denied
records including other programs on POWs taken to Russia from Vietnam and produce them.
We have identified the existence of more than 574
records being withheld for reasons of national security. We have also identified numerous
records over which the CIA has declassification authority, records outside the CIA that
contain POW/MIA information. This court case can require them to produce identified
documentation and the court can order the search for more. We have government witnesses
that require the protection of the court that will identify that additional documentation.
The progress that has been made so far is the result
of donations from individuals, veteran's and non veteran's, POW/MIA family members,
Veteran's organizations and non-veteran's organizations. That is who I refer to as
"we," this is a community effort.
Roger Hall
POW/MIA FOIA Litigation
8715 First Ave., apt 827C
Silver Spring, MD 20910
301/585-3361
rhall8715@aol
END QUOTE
Article with Facts Inserted
Now, let's read Roger's article and insert some facts. In the following
paragraphs, the Hall article is in this typeface and
color while
my comments are in this typeface and color.
In from Roger Hall:
In the case of:
Roger Hall,
Plaintiff
Vs
Central Intelligence Agency,
Defendant
Civil Action No. 98-1319
The hearing on pending motions for summary judgment for withheld POW/MIA documentation is
set for June 11, 1999 at 9:30 A.M. The case will behead before Paul L. Friedman United
States District Judge for the District of Columbia
Suing the CIA on Behalf of Abandoned POWs
by Roger Hall
A law suit was filed against the CIA on May 28th,
1998 for the POW/MIA
documentation that the CIA was ordered to declassify and release, ordered by two
presidents and the Congress. President Bush in 1992 issued Executive Order 12812 for all
government departments and agencies to declassify and
release all POW/MIA documentation except for matters of national security, sources and
methods. President Bush wasn't reelected, the declassification was never completed.
Yes, the declassification was completed.
The fact that President Bush was not re-elected had nothing to do with anything.
The Senate Select Committee on POW/MIA Affairs that ended January 3, 1993, ordered all of
its POW/MIA documentation declassified and made available to the public. The CIA has not
declassified those documents and has classified
that very list of the documents, This is because the Senate did not enforce their promise
to have all Select Committee documents declassified, the Senate just turned all documents
[both unclassified and those in still classified
form] over to the National Archives. The National Archives never processed the classified
CIA POW/MIA documentation for declassification as promised by the US Senate and the CIA
would not initiate declassification.
The bulk of the SSC documents were documents
that the committee obtained from other government agencies -- and those documents were
already declassified or were subsequently declassified by the departments and agencies
concerned.
On Memorial Day 1993 President Clinton promised America that he would issue an Executive
Order for the declassification of all POW/MIA documentation to be released by Veteran's
Day 1993. He put a dead line on when government must
get the job done. On Veteran's Day 1993 President Clinton informed the American public
that all POW/MIA documentation declassification except for national security information,
sources, and methods had been completed. It wasn't, much of that documentation was not
declassified or released. The Department of Defense, CIA, and State Department didn't even
notify their
components, i.e., military bases or field stations to search for additional documentation,
they just declassified what they had on hand.
Mr. Hall does not have a clue. Yes, the
executive departments did notify their subordinates of the requirement. Following
President Bush's order in 1992, the executive departments notified their subordinates to
search their files for any documents having to do with US POWs and MIAs. I was
assigned to the DIA Special Office for POW-MIA Affairs 1986 - 1990 then was the DIA
Liaison Officer in Japan, 1990 - 1993. When the 1992 executive order was issued, my
office in Japan -- that had nothing at all to do with the MIA issue -- received a
directive from DIA to search our files, etc., etc. I received a number of phone
calls from colleagues in other intell organizations in Japan who had received similar
messages from their headquarters.
That promise was made six years ago on Memorial Day
and the CIA documentation is still classified. One reason is because President Clinton did
not issue an executive order, the national security council issued a presidential decision
directive instead, not an executive order, there's a big difference. A directive does not
have the same force in law as an executive order. We were lied to again about POW/MIA
documents. An Executive Order must be published in the Federal Register, it can be
referenced there by anyone, a directive is not. In fact it took more than six months to
get a copy of the directive when they did admit what had happened. Why all the deception
about POW/MIA documentation?
Mr. Hall is seriously misleading folks here.
In the first place, an Executive Order and a Presidential Directive carry equal
weight. Each is a Presidential order to the Executive Branch to do something and do
it now. Hall's claim that it took him six months to get a copy of President
Clinton's directive suggests to me that he did not try very hard. Visit this URL for
links to the Bush Executive Order, the Clinton Directive, and other relevant documents.
Read the documents for yourself and see what the Executive Branch was ordered to
do. http://www.dtic.mil/dpmo/foia/index.htm
Once the directive was given, the President had nothing to do with seeing that the
order was complied with. That is up to his staff if they're interested; they weren't. This
is because once an order is given it is left to each department or agency to implement an
order as they see it should be implemented. The different agencies are responsible only to
themselves unless someone makes them comply. The President had taken time to hang a carrot
before the public that led nowhere without enforcement. It got him off the hook, it got
the public off his and the governments back.
The CIA has a conflict of interest in its POW
collection activities. They are the intelligence arm of the State Department in addition
to their own activities, and their POW collection activities prevent them from effective
performance. The CIA controls the tasking of satellites and intelligence activities in
former communist countries. They also receive tasking from the Defense Intelligence Agency
(DIA) and the Drug Enforcement Agency. This is how pilot identification codes were found
in the 1980s and 90s.
Wait a minute. Did Mr. Hall really say
that the CIA is " . . . the intelligence arm of the State Department in addition to
their own activities. . ."? This is silly. The CIA is a separate entity
within the Executive Branch and is in no way an "arm" of the State Department.
Hall reveals the depth of his ignorance here.
His reference to "pilot identification
codes" is one of the favorite MIA cult myths. See
this article for the facts on the "pilot identification codes."
Acknowledgment of the existence of POWs complicates
their other tasking requirements that includes trade with Russia, China, Laos, Cambodia,
and Vietnam. Such POW information is classified as national security. The release of that
POW information is now prevented by the CIA. If it is released to the DIA the DIA does not
acknowledge it in that they are only required to reveal documentation that they originate.
Huh??? What did he say?
If you still expect the government to just
declassify POW/MIA documentation, that's just what they want you to do. It won't happen.
It won't get done. You need to finish the job you began on Memorial Day 1993. It's up to
you.
Sorry, Roger. It's been done.
The CIA did produce some documentation on 19
specific cases we requested, and 30 additional documents that were previously released.
They front-end-load their documents as a buffer in dealing with the public, they make you
go through a gauntlet of obstacles designed to frustrate you and make you go away, to
exhaust your resources and energy. They haven't yet been required to dig into their denied
records including other programs on POWs taken to Russia from Vietnam and produce them.
The reason the CIA has not ". . . been
required to dig into their denied records including other programs on POWs taken to Russia
from Vietnam and produce them" is simple --- there are no such documents because
there were no such programs or POWs.
We have identified the existence of more than 574
records being withheld for reasons of national security. We have also identified numerous
records over which the CIA has declassification authority, records outside the CIA that
contain POW/MIA information. This court case can require them to produce identified
documentation and the court can order the search for more. We have government witnesses
that require the protection of the court that will identify that additional documentation.
There's the old
we-have-witnesses-who-are-afraid-to-come-forward claim. What a crock.
The progress that has been made so far is the result
of donations from individuals, veteran's and non veteran's, POW/MIA family members,
Veteran's organizations and non-veteran's organizations. That is who I refer to as
"we," this is a community effort.
Roger Hall
POW/MIA FOIA Litigation
8715 First Ave., apt 827C
Silver Spring, MD 20910
301/585-3361
rhall8715@aol

The end
Mercifully, that's the end. Oh well, pursuing his suit against the CIA keeps
Roger out of trouble -- as dumb as he is, he is likely to hurt himself and others if he
were not staying busy doing battle with these windmills.
March 2006 update
Without going into a lot of detail, Roger Hall has lost his suit against the
CIA but he is not smart enough to realize that he lost.
For several years Hall has been pursuing a suit against the CIA claiming that
they have information on many US POWs who were abandoned in SEAsia in 1973.
Hall's claim is nonsense but at least it keeps him busy. Hall formed a
non-profit organization and submitted a FOIA request to the CIA. They told
him it would cost $10,000 for their time and effort to search hundreds of
thousands of documents. Hall replied that he was a journalist and should
not have to pay. Things became more and more confused with claims and
counterclaims. Finally, in February 2006, the District Court of Appeals
sent Hall's appeal back to the lower court and ruled against Hall.
Hall, being too damn dumb to understand what the Court of Appeals said, has
now posted an "editorial" on his website claiming that he won and his case is
still active in the court system.
If you really want to do this, go to Hall's website and read the Appeals
court ruling and Hall's reply:
http://www.powfoia.org/breaking.htm
Oh, and by the way, the CIA finally said to hell with it and released the
documents Hall was asking for. The court noted this in their decision that
Hall's suits are now moot. He must not understand the word "moot."
8 March 2006 |